Exposing Wodden Beamed Ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house currently has exposed beam ceilings apart from 3 rooms. I intend to remove the plaster board to expose beams in one of these (the kitchen). Once the plaster board is removed what do I put up into the ceiling to cover the upstairs floor boards to allow me to paint the ceiling? All comments gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
You shouldn't be removing ceilings, they provide fire protection. I built an extension with exposed timbers in the kitchen, I must have been barking.

Some years ago I remembered using fire retardants paint on wood which slow the spread of a fire, don't know if they're any good.

how nice it will look plastic wire going through holes in the joists
or notches just under the floor boards to the upstairs sockets
and the downstairs lights :cry: :cry:

and i think youll find the ceilling is part of the upstairs floors
stability [ i could be wrong though]
and of course you may have infill pieces between the joists
for stability

good luck any way ;) ;)

big all

Sponsored Links
I have done one for a client, put a batten inside the joist with plasterboard and the joist approx' 2" showing.

Thanks for the replies, now really looking forward to doing it, :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I've done this in one of my rooms (originally a Georgian farmworkers cottage) - looks fabulous, but ....
when 1950's hardboard (yes, really) ceiling removed, it left two generations of heating systems, and at least three generations of wiring (including lots of lead sheathed stuff). It meant re-routing all the heating and electrical system around the edge of the room on a service duct (mocked up to look like another beam) and stripping out all the old stuff.
Massive job, but well worth it.
Made up frames out of 2x1 and sat them between the beams. These then took plasterboard and scim. Finish with some nice distemper (not emulsion over old beams).
Hope that helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back