Exposed copper pipe shower?? old industrial tapes??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

Im having all the plumbing in my bathroom exposed (polished up copper) with old school vavles or tapes, abit like this

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=t...pr=0.9#tbm=isch&q=exspoded+copper+pipe+shower

I was going to just manually mix the hot and cold from 2 tapes. Ive got a combi boiler (worcester bosch)

I was speaking to a plumber on site and he said ohhh you don't want todo that you want to incuded a thermostatic mixer vavle in there. He said i wont be able to get it to hold the right temperature without one.

The thing is I dont want one of thoughs shower mixer vavles on show. He couldnt really get his head around the fact i didnt want a chrome mixershower or why I wanted my pipes on show. It may sound **** to most but its just the look im going for lol.

Can anyone think of a way i can have a reliable temperature while keeping the look I want?

Sponsored Links
Don't forget to lacquer those pipes unless you want to polish them every week. I use an un lacquered polished copper electric kettle, and it's a nightmare keeping it shiny!

Sponsored Links
Install a TMV out of sight

And try a spellchecker occasionally!

How would i then adjust this? Or would it be a case of once it set right i wouldn't need to adjust it again. so I wouldn't have any temputer control? (my spelling sooo bad even the spell checker struggles to correct me so i just wing it and hope people can understand what i'm saying :) )

The TMV would be set once, and would be the maximum temperature that could be supplied, typically around 43C. It would still be possible to mix in some cold to obtain lower temperatures.

The main reason for it being so that you don't suddenly have dangerous scalding hot water coming out of the shower because someone turned a cold tap on, or the washing machine got to the rinse cycle.

Oh and i like the look :) I just searched your **** taking 90s and 1890s industrial **** take and its just what im after :D (y)

The TMV would be set once, and would be the maximum temperature that could be supplied, typically around 43C. It would still be possible to mix in some cold to obtain lower temperatures.

The main reason for it being so that you don't suddenly have dangerous scalding hot water coming out of the shower because someone turned a cold tap on, or the washing machine got to the rinse cycle.

ok sound happy days. That sounds idea.

So i can set it slightly hot and mix a bit of cold in and at worse if someone turns a tap on it will just go back to the slightly to hot temputer? (y)

The temperature you set on the TMV will be the temperature that that the water is delivered at to the shower head.

If there is a fluctuation is the hot or cold supply then the TMV will still maintain the temperature at the preset. You cannot change the output temperature by adjusting the hot & cold supplies. In the event that the supply pressure/flow or either hot or cold drops below a certain value (dependant on the TMV model) then the TMV will shut down completely.

The whole idea of a TMV is that it maintains a steady temperature regardless of the supply variation and, if it cannot maintain a steady temperature then it shuts down to protect the user.

TMVs are generally used to create a maximum top temperature to prevent scalding; there's nothing usually to stop you getting cold water by turning down the hot.

It is a requirement that the TMV is located within 1m of the outlet to prevent legionella bacteria risk from the lukewarm water stored between the TMV and the outlet.

Particularly relevant in (atomising) shower installations.

hmmmm it would be about 3 meter from the outlet. It might break some regs but will be used everyday so I hope it wouldn't be a problem?

Isnt that to protect against legionella in like big buildings which have maybe a disabled toilet that very rarely get used?

No L8 is for everywhere.

Im sure the reg is for everywhere but doesn't the problem only arise when a hot water supply is very rarely used and left standing. What i mean is its isn't lightly to actually cause me a problem when using the shower daily

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back