Exposed Lintels?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The architect/SE has put 'check existing lintel' on the plans. He says, there's not much extra load so he's happy. But...

1. Does it mean it's MY responsibility to instruct the builder to check?
2. The councils responsibility to ask me?
3. What actually has to happen to check a lintel anyway?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Ultimately it's your responsibility to show compliance with Building Regs.

In practice, it will mean the builder removing a brick or two so that the inspector can see the lintel, preferably near the end where it rests on the wall.

If the inspector feels it's OK, then it's OK. If he's a bit doubtful, he may either ask for calculations to ptove it's OK, or he may suggets an alternative to your builder.

So I should expect conditional approval?

Or is it the kind of thing they ask for halfway through a build? The lintel is across my kitchen so I'm thinking about the mess/difficulty and the possible time and cost if they have to do something halfway though my build

Sponsored Links
Building Control can issue a conditional approval.

The time when the beam is checked is really best agreed between yourself and the builder. Clearly the earlier the better, to save having to undo new work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back