Exposed mouldy timber/lath - what next?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

See picture... Had a lot of leaking through this bit of wall in bad weather. Old house and had dodgy gutters (now fixed). Started to chip away the plaster from a crack thinking could patch up easily, but came away and exposed wet and mouldy timber. I thought it was lath, but it's set into the brickwork and seems more like part of the original window framing...

Not sure what to do next. For now am trying to encourage it to dry out (still damp to touch). Is still very sturdy - can bash with a screwdriver and it's solid enough, but the outer 1-2mm v soft so maybe starting to rot?

Any advice welcome. I'm hoping I'd get away with drying it, cleaning the mould off and plastering over...

Sponsored Links
i would leave it as long as possible to dry out,the trouble with timber lintels is any rot you find on the face tends to be a hell of a lot worse on the back.
even then once you know for sure its bone dry i still would do a series of holes at an angle and carefully fill these hole with some kind of preservative over a few days,let it permeate into the back of the timber,then do as above.

I think you should dig out all around it and make a hole above it right back and put a strong boy in and take the lintel out and put a concrete lintel in. I wouldn't be lettin' it dry out and waiting to see if there is any strength in it get it out and be done with it,,, ;)Have a look in my "forming doorways " album and it will give you an idea of what I mean... ;)

Sponsored Links
Way to go Roy! Easy enough for us, Maybe the op will bite the bullet.

Way to go Roy! Easy enough for us, Maybe the op will bite the bullet.
Hi alastair A belated "Happy New Year " to you...I think he should be able to do it and "us lot on here" can help him thru it,,,

Thanks for all the advice so far. Really useful. I didn't know what a lintel was til I googled it after the posts above - pretty new to bigger DIY jobs (anything more than putting up shelves is big in my book!), so this forum is a great find now I've bought my first house.

Think I need to mull it over a bit while it's drying out... Big job for someone with not a lot of experience.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back