Mouldy new skirting / plaster...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys.

I had the spare room plastered just before christmas, and fitted the new skirting a week later (primer MDF drilled and screwed), then filled.
I then noticed, a week later when i came to look at spot priming the filled areas on the skirting that the filler had sunk.
I seeked advice from the manufacturer of the filler and they said it was probably moisture in the wood (the plaster was still curing in places)

It's now been a further 2 weeks, this time with a bit more background heat in the room, and the plaster is all one colour and ready for paint. But... green and white mould has formed around the skirting, and a small amount on the ceiling.

Now i'm guessing this is just because there was excessive moisture in the room due to the plaster, there was no problem with damp before the plaster- he even commented on how dry the walls were and the amount of PVA'ing he had to do.

If thats the case, do I just wipe away, re-prep and paint. Or is the skirting likely to keep growing mould so i should rip it out and start again, again?

I believe there has been enough ventilation- a couple of floorboards are still up (vented timber floor) but i had to shut the window completely as it was getting rather cold!

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Nothing to worry about, wipe away and decorate, you only get mold where it's damp and little or no ventilation. Your plaster has dried so should not be a build up of moisture provided the room has ventilation.

Thanks, just what I'd hoped.

I do wonder if there's still some moisture behind the skirting, so I think I'm going to a dehumidifier in there for a few days before wiping back and refilling.

Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back