Help with my skirting board project! Advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have just removed my old skirting boards & had my lounge re-plastered.
The plaster is dry so its time to fit the new skirts. I have never really tackled this before but due to lack of funds, I am gonna give it a go.
I'm gonna use 6" Torus skirting. I wondered if anyone had any useful tips or advice on the tools needed, wht type of saw to buy etc etc.
Many thanks in advance

Mark

Sponsored Links
You will find it best to borrow , hire or even buy yourself an electric Mitre Saw. The basic ones can be bought now for less than £50, ( Screwfix sell one at £29.99 ). A useful one to have would be a Radial arm Mitre Saw which will cope with the 6'' skirtings without you needing to turn the skirting over to complete the cut. These are more expensive to buy so may be best to hire it for the day.Skirtings can be fixed using adhesives like Liquid Nails etc. and strutted until set or screwed and plugged to masonry. Most Mitre saws will only tilt one way which means the wood will need to be rotated to make certain cuts. Take time to think about the way you cut the Mitred corners as there will be times when the wood is placed upside down on the saw to create an internal/external corner and for a beginner it is easy to go wrong. I would suggest doing a small scrap example of a left hand and right hand external corner and a left hand and a right hand internal corner and refer to these to guide you Remember when you fix to the walls to be aware of any cables or even pipework that may run within. It's an easy job if you think it through before cutting and take care using the saw because red skirting boards look awful !!! Good luck.

Hi Mark.
It's a bit difficult to pass on tips on skirting boards without sketches, but I'll try.
First there are four ways of cutting the board ends.
1. square ends where it meets the door frame, always leave these to last
2. Mitred end for external corner. Do these first, so if you mess up you can have another go at it.
3. Mitred end for internal corner. Optional but best avoided
4. Scribed end for internal corner. This is coupled with a end cut square and looks like a mitred joint.
Most corners are 90 degree angle and most people will suggest you get a mitre saw, so you can cut at 45 degrees. I found with long boards it was difficult to keep the board horizontal while sawing vertical.
If you have no external corners go for scribing, and do a practice piece first which will act as a template.
If you are faced with external corners, you can try what I did.
I made a box without ends, the internal dimensions were the same as the skirting board, well with some clearance to fit wedges.
While one end of the box was left square the other end was marked and cut to 45 degrees.
I then marked a board to 45 deg. and with a mitre saw cut it but leaving i/8 in excess material.
Next I fitted the board to the box(secured with wedges and clamps) at waist high on work bench and trestle and used a router to remove the final 1/8 in.
I did two of these to match up and make 90 deg. but my first attempt was a little out.so a little ajustment by adding a thin plastic shim to one edge soon produced the perfect 90 deg. joint.
If you use a mitre saw, I would still suggest you mark the board first and and you can stop before you run off line, if you have to remove excess material by hand without a guide then I would suggest a electric plane set to the lowest setting.
Hope it helps.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Cheers for your help & advice Mandate & DazB.
The job is now complete & looks great :)

Sponsored Links
Cheers for your help & advice Mandate & DazB.
The job is now complete & looks great :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back