Exposed Plaster

BSC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just spent the last 2 days removing sheen emulsion from the walls in my daughters bedroom! It has left me with walls that in some places have powdery plaster exposed and in others have what appears to be a thin costing over the plaster.

I have sanded the walls and I wish to emulsion. Could someone advise what I should do with the exposed powdery plaster. Do I apply a plaster sealer or will a mist coat applied to the whole wall be OK.

Sponsored Links
Any chance of a pic of exposed plaster..it culd be a few things by definition.

Zampa thanks for your reply. Unable to provide a photo but I can try to explain a little more clearly. About 70% of the wall is covered with what looks like a thin layer of paint I don't know if this this the plaster 'skim' as I am a complete novice at DIY, this layer is less than 1mm in depth. The rest of the wall is plaster that sands very easily and is gritty to touch.

Hope this offers a better explanation.

Tricky to advise really...can you tell us what colour this layer is please?

Sponsored Links
Cheers for that...greeny browm doesnt sound like plaster to me..

Is you house fairly old by any chance?...pre 1960's?...if so it could be distemper..it sounds like it but its difficult to say 100%

The house was built about 1955 so that would fit. If it is distemper what would your advice be?

Move!

Or the cheaper option..it has all got to come off unfortunatly..every bit then scrub the walls clean.

There really is no easy way with this stuff im sorry t say.

As I said before its difficult to guess your problem on here but it seems to me there could be a fair chance thats what it is..

Scrape off the worst then wash it all down with plenty of warm water..

When thats dont you should seal the wall with alkali resisting primer then fill where you need to..if the walls are sound then paint them..if not id say to line them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back