Exposed tops of bricks pillars. How to seal?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My garage is letting in water from the brick pillars. I have one pillar at each corner and 1 either side at the half way mark. Between each pillar are just rendered breeze blocks. The roof only overhangs approximately a 1/4 of pillar, exposing the tops to the elements. The top of the pillars have a plastic dpm on the top brick with mortar on the top. Many of the 6 pillars seem to have water ingress due to the mortar being shot.

Am I best replacing like for like. I intend to removed the old mortar and dpm and replace with new so the tops of the pillars are sealed again. Is this the best way to do it? Do I need a bed of mortar, then the plastic dpm then more mortar?

I may also coat the pillars with a clear sealant once I've finished.

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Think of a garden wall. The top is exposed to rain and weather. In many cases frost will break up the top surface. You can protect it with a coping stone or dense concrete such as a paving slabs, or you can use hard impervious bricks such as pavers or engineering bricks set in hard dense mortar. Preferably have the top shaped so it overhangs the wall and rain drips off rather than running down the side of the wall making it wet. I have one where there is a double row in tiles under the top course, projecting so water runs off.

The dense bricks are relatively expensive but you will only need a few.

Forget about silicone or sealants.

Sponsored Links
Hi. Please see attached pictures. Unfortunately no room for a coping stone. I'm think I'll have to go with the dpm and mortar again unless you folk have some good ideas? I'm really stuck for room due to the facial and roof design which isn't ideal.

Attachments

• 20240322_135524.jpg
    20240322_135524.jpg
    278.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 20240322_135513.jpg
    20240322_135513.jpg
    339.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 20240322_135504.jpg
    20240322_135504.jpg
    350.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 20240322_135451.jpg
    20240322_135451.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 31
I am no builder/brickie but I’d buy a few sheets of aluminium and cut them oversize, folding the edges over at 90° to form a cap that could be slid over the bricks.

I am no builder/brickie but I’d buy a few sheets of aluminium and cut them oversize, folding the edges over at 90° to form a cap that could be slid over the bricks.
Or easier to. work with would be lead flashing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back