How to build brick pillar between windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to build a brick pillar in an existing window opening but I can't work out what kind of brick pattern to use. Basically I'm taking out an existing UPVC window, building up a brick pillar in the middle of the opening, ideally about 1 brick width across, and then fitting 2 new smaller windows, one each side of the pillar.

I have an internal and external wall to build on top of with a 100mm cavity. If I just build up a pile of bricks on each of the internal and external walls separately I don't feel like it will be very strong, but I'm not sure if they should be connected to each other as this won't preserve a cavity and I might get damp issues?

What is the right way to do this?

Sponsored Links
Use 2 slightly larger windows or 1 bigger window.

1 brick width across
Then you are a bit limited on what pattern to use.

You can build it as cavity, with a complete vDPC up the back of the bricks and ties every 225mm and make sure it's well wedged under the lintel or it will fall out. And don't slam the windows.

But you are better off doing what Tom says.

Thanks for the replies but I do need to build the pillar as I am dividing a room in half and the stud wall will join onto the pillar.
I could make it slightly wider than a brick width if there is any advantage in doing that.
I did see the brick ties for sale in Screwfix but I wasn't sure if they are there for structural purposes or just for holding insulation in position.

Sponsored Links
just get 2 windows with a blank between them which will hide dividing wall

Vertical damp proof course..... stop moisture transmission through wall. As opposed to the horizontal DPC put at the base of walls to stop moisture rising up.

Do you really want windows right in the corner of the rooms? Won't this look a bit odd?

If you are worried about strength use a wind post.

A brick and a half 330mm would be neater.

Or buy a window with a spacer between. Basically its a window with 2 mullion set close together and a trim covering.

If you are worried about strength use a wind post.

A brick and a half 330mm would be neater.

Or buy a window with a spacer between. Basically its a window with 2 mullion set close together and a trim covering.
Great suggestions, thanks. Not heard of wind posts before. Do normal builders merchants do them? Can't see any at screwfix.

Great suggestions, thanks. Not heard of wind posts before. Do normal builders merchants do them? Can't see any at screwfix.

IG or Ancon are common makes. Not usually stock items in a merchant.

Or maybe start your stud wall with a steel and fix some wall ties to it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back