Exposing old floor boards but think I’ve found an old fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We’ve got a 1940s detached house, the living room has been knocked through into what I imagine was the old dining room to create one big room.

We starting to remove the carpet with the hope of exposing the underlying floorboards and found this in the middle of the room where the original dividing wall was. There is a similar shape on the other side so am I right that this would have been back to back fireplaces? It’s flush with the current wood.

2202779D-9681-469A-8328-19BA6BBD9F11.jpeg

Aside from a big rug (which was my suggestion to the missus) does anyone else have any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Big rug sounds good.
Or...
Break up all of the concrete, build a solid levelled base, then cut strips of wood to match existing floor and secure it down.
Where the existing boards are cut on an angle, it would be easier to straighten the cut with a multitool.
Big rug sounds good.;)

You could lift some boards from somewhere else in the house and fit them in place of the concrete?
Then use new boards to replace the “borrowed” ones, ideally in a carpeted room.

Sponsored Links
Some reclaimed stone flags laid flush wouldn't look out of place. Check the DPM whatever you do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back