Exposing original flagstone floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just cut out a section of floor panel to install a hearth in front of my fireplace - what I found was that the chipboard floor panels have been laid on batons with polystyrene insulation resulting in a thickness of approx 70mm (see pic).

This is an old thatched cottage & the headroom is severely restricted especially in the living room - getting this 70mm back would make all the difference. Restoring a period feature also is appealing.

This chipboard flooring runs throughout the ground floor of the house & I don't want to rip everything out - just maybe expose it in the living room area. This would leave an annoying little step up where it butts up to the chipboard floor but I could put a chamfered bit of hardwood down to get over that.

Anyone done anything like this before? I guess there are pitfalls like cold & damp & the main one playing on my mind is ripping up the existing floor to find that the flagstones don't extend as far as I thought or are in a really bad state of repair meaning I have to relay another floor.
DSC_1291.jpg

Sponsored Links
We've a brick floor in our kitchen dining room, its an old cottage, so suits it.
That said... I wouldn't want it in the lounge though. You have to wear slippers as it's cold. I can't see flagstones being any different, it would look good though, what about a rug?
As you mentioned, it would be disappointing to find the flags only go a little more than the hearth you removed, can you lift a bit at the other end of the room?

We've a brick floor in our kitchen dining room, its an old cottage, so suits it.
That said... I wouldn't want it in the lounge though. You have to wear slippers as it's cold. I can't see flagstones being any different, it would look good though, what about a rug?
As you mentioned, it would be disappointing to find the flags only go a little more than the hearth you removed, can you lift a bit at the other end of the room?

Yes, good point. It could be that I've just uncovered the original hearth.

Sponsored Links
He's right - make some test excavations.

If it were me I'd want to replace the chipboard with something attractive anyway

He's right - make some test excavations.

If it were me I'd want to replace the chipboard with something attractive anyway

It would be good just to lower the floor so I can get a bit more headroom. I'm 6 foot and I've got about 20mm clearance between my head and the beams. I could maybe lay some wooden flooring on batons, lose the polystyrene insulation and still gain an extra 30mm headroom. And it would look nicer.

Please let us know what you find :) If the flags are extensive, I'd want to keep them if it were me. Depending on how much work you want to do, there's also the option of lifting them and laying underfloor heating below.

I'm told insulating floors is a good idea... what about ripping it all up and using something like this https://underfloorheating-direct.co...mikyc9zk-21qivw5sych2upadaeaqyasabegiyi_d_bwe

I know its for underfloor, but thinking you can get different thicknesses, which may help with your headroom.

Floating floors, are on top of the insulation and don't need batons, so again, millimetres saved!

Not sure if I'll be able to lay that on top of what's a fairly uneven floor.

Please let us know what you find :) If the flags are extensive, I'd want to keep them if it were me. Depending on how much work you want to do, there's also the option of lifting them and laying underfloor heating below.

Yep, will do. I'll cut a couple of exploratory holes at the weekend.

Well, cut out a few more sections & found that there's pipework running across the room under the floor panels. There's concrete down there too, i.e. flagstones don't cover whole area of room.

Way, way too much work & a complete Pandora's box so it's been back to plan A (which is now complete) and the room is now fully re-decced with a new carpet down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back