Extend earth by a couple of inches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I've replaced a light pendant and although the earth is connected, it's via a metal terminal block.

Ideally I'd like these to be wired into the earth terminal in the pendant. What's the best way to extend the earth wire by about 2 inches?

Thanks all.

Jon

Sponsored Links
Seriously. Have yo tried to see if there's any slack in the cable by pulling on it (once the circuit has been proven dead, obviously!)?

Sponsored Links
The earth has actually been cut back.

The other wires are quite long.

Hi.

it's via a metal terminal block.

Whats one of them

Ideally I'd like these to be wired into the earth terminal in the pendant. What's the best way to extend the earth wire by about 2 inches

Why, if there in a terminal block already, is the pendant earth terminal actually connected to anything or just somewhere to park the earth.
IMO a non jointed earth is preferable to an unneccesary jointed earth wire

If need be id use a short peice of earth from your Metal terminal block (whatever that is) to the pendant earth terminal

You require a plastic connector strip to extend the earth cable (AKA CPC).
This cable should be sleeved green and yellow.
The existing metal terminal, you have, is likely to be out of a ceiling rose.
One section of this will do.
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TLCON5.html

But as you are connecting a metallic fitting, that requires a connection to earth, simple extending and connecting the existing CPC, would not confirm continuity back the main earth terminal at the board. So for safety reason I would suggest this test is carried out.

But as you are connecting a metallic fitting, that requires a connection to earth, simple extending and connecting the existing CPC, would not confirm continuity back the main earth terminal at the board. So for safety reason I would suggest this test is carried out.
blank65x10t.gif
whathesaidsmiley.gif

Seriously.

Because:
The earth has actually been cut back.
The kind of t**t that would do that cannot be trusted not to have been an equally big t**t elsewhere.

Your life might depend on proper earth continuity - don't trust a t**t with your life.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back