extending a 45A curcuit

thanks again Ban-all-sheds.

Ok so ill use 6 / 10mm cable for my extractor spur, and replace the socket spur cable while i'm at it.
I could spur off the ring as you suggest but it would mean more chopping out of plaster and also it would be nice to have the extractor on the 45 amp cooker switch as the FCU for it will probably be hidden.

To clarify what i want to do, as you say I currently have a cable coming from the CU to a cooker control unit (switch with socket) above the worktop and then back down to the cooker outlet plate. The trouble is that the CCU is in the way of where I want to put a splashback so i want to swap it for a single 45A switch (no socket) and move it over a couple of feet.
I will investigate the crimps you mention but i was thinking i could use a cooker outlet plate as a junction box below the worktop?

I hope this is a bit clearer. I think I was confusing terminology before CCU = Cooker control unit not cooker connection unit (cooker outlet plate) as i previously thought.

EDIT: have found some 6.3mm crimps on screwfix http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=90867&ts=64984
are these the best thing for connecting 6/10mm cable?

Sponsored Links
No - those are spade terminals.

You need butt crimps like these:

p1732995_l.jpg
p1733620_l.jpg

Except, of course, for 6mm cable you need the yellow ones. And, of course, what colour butt crimps do Screwfix not sell?

Don't forget that you need to apply them with a proper ratchet crimper, not a cheap squeez'n'hope one.

ok thanks again for all your help ban-all-sheds!
ill use the existing cooker plate as a junction box for my 2 spurs and ill get a couple of yellow crimps and hopefully borrow some ratchet crimpers as they aint cheap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back