Extending a lighting circuit in France

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
C5A689B7-B326-409E-867A-A7CFFC256F18.jpeg
Hello all

I would like to extend a cellar light and add another light fitting

right now there is a single switch and surface mounted cable to a surface mounted ceiling light.

in the uk, I would look to extend off the existing fitting ... I assume would do the same here? I know the lighting circuit I France differs to that of UK.

Darren

Sponsored Links
Having thought about this ... the ceiling height is only 6 ft ... and would much prefer to switch this standard bulb to a led strip / led rope. I know these are typically low voltage and often need a transformer. Any idea how I would do this in France?

You can get LED strips / ropes & the requisite transformers at virtually any brico shop in France, e.g. LeroyMerlin, Castorama, Bricomarché. If you're a long way from any of these, try amazon.fr or the web sites of these outfits. (Search for ruban led). As for wiring them in, the basic French wiring colours are green/yellow = protective earth; blue = neutral; anything else (e.g. black, brown, red, purple) is live. 1.5 sq mm will be fine, or even less if you already have it. (LED lighting currents are very low at mains voltage.) Actually doing it is going to be very similar to the UK; just make sure to keep all wiring inside suitable wiring boxes & carried in plastic tubes, either rigid or flexible, supported on clips. If/when you sell the property, the obligatory diagnostique will penalise any visible wires, even though they're insulated. Cables, i.e. insulated wires inside an insulating sheath, OTOH, seem to be allowable.

Sponsored Links
satprof - i searched ruban led .. but it seems to come up with socket controlled lights only .. rather than driver&lights that are fed by the lighting circuit... can you suggest a particular item (or French search term) I should be looking at? And would it be an issue buying these leds and transformer in the Uk and taking over .. as you can see I am struggling with the language issue of finding them!

Last edited:
and would it be an issue buying these leds and transformer in the Uk and taking over .. as you can see I am struggling with the language issue of finding them!

Sponsored Links
Back