spanish lighting circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening all,
In the UK, a lighting circuit is on a 6amp radial, with loop in ceiling roses/junction boxes and permanent/switched live at the switch, could some one please educate me in spanish lighting circuits, I'm in a 80's apartment right now, which has a 10amp dp mcb, and schuko sockets with a light switch next to it.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
In Spain a 10A double pole circuit breaker is used for the Lighting Circuit (Alumbrado). Also connected to the lighting circuit are some of the Schuko sockets throughout the building! And it is not necessarily the ones next to a switch! In my flat, the socket circuit (20A) is marked "Otros Usos" (other uses). The only way to check to see which socket is on Alumbrado and which on Otros Usos, is to switch off the Alumbrado breaker and go round each socket in turn with a tester (which could be a table lamp with a 2-pin plug on it or a legit. socket tester) If you mark each socket connected to the lighting circuit with a marker pen, it will act as a aide-memoire not to plug in heavy loads like heaters! Don't forget there is an ICP (single pole circuit breaker) in or adjacent to the consumer unit, which is used to limit the total current supplied to the property. The monthly standing charge increases with increasing current. The lowest is 16A.

Also, on the wall above each socket/switch you may find a blanking plate. This is, essentially where cables change direction, or where connections are made.

Hope this helps.

ASTRA, Thanks for the info, this apartment (tenerife) has a 25amp main switch which I presume is the middle tariff?, then to a 40amp rcd, followed by 5 dp mcb's.
Iv'e seen these blanking plates before for junction boxes, at high and low level, but this place has none, I noticed at the C.U the wiring then goes into what looks like plastic conduit, into the concrete walls and ceiling, so how do you go about fitting a extra double socket or light for example?
I hope you dont mind me asking these questions, I just want to learn as much as I can, because now seems a good time to buy our own apartment, probably may/june next year.
Thanks.

The Spanish standard for wiring is to use single cables in flexible PVC trunking, which is then buried in the walls. Bear in mind that Spanish construction is usually a reinforced concrete frame of pillars to support the roof (or floor above) with the walls, which are not load bearing, filled in with clay bricks and the whole lot rendered. That is how they can channel out deep enough to bury the cables without the place falling down around them. Lighting is usually 1.5mm and power 2.5mm. If there are no "joint boxes" then either some kind person (!) has plastered them over or the trunking from the socket to the next socket or the distribution board is a single piece with no joins, thus (in theory) allowing cables to be pulled through.

Adding extra lights or sockets is possible but unless you are a pretty good plasterer, and you own an SDS drill with roto-stop you may find it easier to spur off the nearest socket and surface-run the cable in plastic conduit. The local ferreteria (ironmonger) will sell cable by the metre and will have all the bits and pieces you require, but some knowledge of Spanish would be useful!

Sorry to say I made an error in my previous post. That's what you get for working from memory! The socket circuit (otros usos) is protected by a 16A DP breaker, not 20A as I previously stated. It is the washing machine/water heater circuit (Lavadora y Termo) which is protected by a 20A device, and the electric hob (cocina) MCB is rated at 25A.

Sponsored Links
ASTRA, that was brilliant, thank you very much.

ps, I thought your post on liar blair was bang on!

Back