Extending a phone socket & ADSL

Was I the only little boy who used to convince friends to lick their finger and place it across the rails of a Scalextric? That's only 12V and it gives a rather unpleasant tingle. Try it with your friends next time you decide to get the old Scalextric/Hornby railway out. :evil:

Sponsored Links
ban

haven't laughed so much since my granny caught her left t*t in the mangle!

BT gave up using a functional earth on domestic stuff years ago. I wonder if this was the reason?

Joking aside one of my clients who is now dead told me this story.

He was a communications engineer in WWII. He had a line rigged up across the countryside, and he had a problem.

There was a short somewhere, because every so often there was some godawful crackling on the line (flying pigs?).

He finally discovered that it only happened when the weather was dry, which puzzled him even more, as he was considering dampness as a possible cause.

He finally tracked it down to a farmhouse where when the weather was fine, the farmer's wife would open a (metal framed) window.

Yes, the cables ran directly outside the window and it was shorting when the window was open!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back