Extending a ring few quick questions please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

From reading prevous posts etc on here, ive come up with the above plan.

Few questions still bugging me...

- From the existing socket the 2 cables connected to it, i dont know which direction they go. Does it matter which direction or can i simply cut either wire to attach the new socket?

- Can i have a double socket from the single socket in this case?

Can you see anything missing or incorrect?

Thanks guys.

Sponsored Links
Yes that's correct, although strictly speaking you should measure the earth loop impedance to make sure that this change won't exceed the recommended limit for your incoming supply and protective measures.

Also are you 100% sure that it is a ring circuit?

If it is then the fact that it is a single socket is not relevant. If it is a radial or a spur (which it could be because is is a single), then you should not do this.

How do you intend to run the cables?

Thanks Dippy for the response :)

Aah i assumed that as it had 2 cables going to the single socket that it was on a ring. Silly me. Is there a way to determine whether its a ring?

Assuming it is a ring, I intend to cut the ring at the point shown and run new cables to the extended ring under the floorboards. The additional spur will be ran along the skirting board. Sound okay?

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
test cables for voltage i believe - a ring will have voltage on both cables a radial only on the feed in side

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back