Spur or extend ring?

str

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to get power into a cupboard, where I plan to house all the tv equipment - sat box, dvd, etc - at least 4 plug sockets required, probably better to have a couple spare.

I have a double socket just outside the cupboard, so reckon I could take a spur off this (I dont think there is a spur off this already) but can i take power to say, 3 double sockets from a single spur?

Or, would I be better off extending the ring from this socket and is it feasible to increase the ring by another 3 doubles?

If I was to extend the ring, I would need to join a cable permanently, cant use a junction box as it wouldn't be accessible, or if I am able, would it be best to replace one side of the ring (between two existing sockets) with a new length of cable giving me the required length?

Any advice appreciated

Sponsored Links
no you can't have 3 doubles off one spur.. unless it's a fused spur..

yes it's best to include them on the ring.
yes it's feasible to add 3 doubles to the ring as long as it's not at it's capacity to start with.. ( and as long as the Zs readings are within the acceptible limits.. )

if you join in the backbox of the existing socket, then it's accessible ( you can take the socket front off to get at it..)

yes it's always best to replace with a cable that's long enough.... this eliminates one possible point of failure..

cheers for that coljack

Whilst I consider myself capable of limited electrical work, such as this, ( my dad was a spark so I picked up a few things) the terminology goes over my head!

what do you mean by "Zs readings"?

The ring is the downstairs ring, so feeds a hallway, sittingroom, diningroom and bedroom - 11 double sockets at present and I would be adding another 3 - havent looked to see what rating the MCB is for the ring but I assume it will have enough capacity to take the additions?

hadn't thought of joining in the back box but might go down the route of a new length of cable if the floors are up anyway

Sponsored Links
Zs is the earth fault loop resistance reading..

it has to be sufficiently low so that, in the event of a fault to earth, there is enough current drawn to operate the protective device within the time limit allowed for safety..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back