Extending a wall light cable running from a double socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
I purchased a new wall light for my parents bedroom and when I went to install it I found that the existing cable is to short to feed into the new light fitting.

The cable for the existing light fitting is attached to the wall in a plastic casing. When I removed the cover for the casing I saw that the cable for the light fed into a double socket albeit there is a separate on/off switch.

Can anyone please advise me as to the best practise way of extending the cable so that I can install the new light fitting?

Many thanks for your time, any help is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
There should be some fusing down between the socket and the light fitting. Can you post some pictures?

Sponsored Links
Is the cable fixed inside the wall? If not, you may be able to pull some new cable of the correct length through.

If there is enough space in the light fitting you could also use a connector block to extend.

Sounds like the existing cabling is contained in plastic trunking.

Buy a suitable amount of twin and earth 1.0mm or 1.5mm and rather than do a bodge join replace the cable from switch to the new fitting point.

If you can't find a supplier of short lengths of twin and earth, any cable flex over 0.5mm could be used. You don't say whether the new light requires an earth (it should say on the fitting) if it does 3 core will be required, if no earth required then 2 core will do.

An interesting POV.

If you had a non-harmonised installation, you wouldn't have a warning notice because your appliances had harmonised flex terminated in plugs.

If you replaced a socket with an FCU with a flex outlet, and dispensed with the plug on an appliance, would you add a warning notice?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back