Extending air bricks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am building an extension to the rear of my terraced house and need to extend the air bricks that ventilate the suspended floor(timber)through the new floor(solid concrete)
My question is Do they have to be extended straight through to the new rear wall or can they be extended to come out through the new side walls

Sponsored Links
Dan77, good evening.

I see this is your first post in here, welcome Dan, hope the answers you get here are of real value?

I have seen several rear facing extensions with both the scenarios you note, that is a pipe or similar taken fully front to rear of the new extensions concrete floor or simply taken to to one side or the other by the shortest route.

As I see it so long as there is not another "Structure" in close proximity to the side you propose venting the air brick from the new extension floor then there should be no problems.

By close proximity I mean a structure closer than about one meter, Any closer and the air flow could?? be compromised??

As an aside I have never come across wet or dry rot outbreaks in original property when the extension had the ventilation system you propose, no matter which type [Side, or rear wall]

Ken.

Dan77, good evening again.

As can be seen from last poster, some of the replies are less than helpful.

Hey ho most posts are of value.

Ken.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Ken,there are no structures either side so that's helpful

Dan77 good morning.

One other think you may want to consider?

How about placing a strip of mesh reinforcement over the embedded pipe? reason is that the inclusion of a pipe may? cause a plane of weakness along the length of the pipe, in the concrete, hopefully any mesh will assist in stopping or reducing cracking along the line of the embedded pipe?

It will not matter how much overlap you have over the pipe with the mesh suggest at least 300.mm each side.

Ken

Morning Ken,thanks for the advice,gonna mesh the whole slab anyway as I'm gonna support the back of the house off of it when I come to put the rsj's in
Dan

You might want to consult an se about that if you haven't already. Raft would be more than just mesh
Edit: auto correct

Last edited:
Sorry temporarily support off the slab with acro and strongboys whilst the steels go in

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back