Extending between 2 existing walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Between our garage and the outhouse a previous owner of our house built a lean to 'extension' using wood and corigated pvc sheets. It is horrific. We can't afford to get someone in but it does need sorting asap as the whole thing is rotting.

One tiber wall/door plus the roof forms the the lean to room which is approx 6'x6' between the garage wall and the single skin outhouse.

There is around 5-6 inches of concrete/screed which form the floor and then under that around another 5-6 inches of concrete which would have been the original patio. The current slabs are higher than this floor but they will be removed.

I am not quite sure where to start but I am obviously going to removal the whole "structure" and start again.

What should I replace it with that isn't going to rot. Or do I need to cut through 1 foot + of concrete to put in some propper footings and foundations?

Attachments

• 20170612_163314.jpg
    20170612_163314.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 102
Sponsored Links
You might be better off by first removing the structure, and then posting pics showing the clean area thats available to build in?
What exactly do you want as a replacement?

Pull the breaker to isolate the lean-to electrics before doing any demolition.

Thanks, I have only just spotted your reply, it is wood essentially bolted to the concrete which was laid on top of the existing patio. And bolted onto the single skin brick outhouse and garage. The roof then rests on top of the frame and is screwed to the outhouse and garage.

I have a few ideas all involve demolishing it and lowering the level of the patio to the original patio.

First would be build the wall out of brick tieing into the garage and outhouse walls.

The 2nd would be to lay concrete lintel on the top layer of concrete floor that is the full width then build a similar timber frame stud wall with treated would and insulate and damp proof. Cladding exterior and plasterboard interior. Which is similar to the bodge that is there now so I have my worries. Atleast it shouldn't rot as fast. The roof would be 25mm thermal pvc.

Basicly I want the area to be insulated and watertight and to last.

Sponsored Links
Presumably your neighbours have a similar layout?
But without the additions?

See if you can photograph that

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back