Extending cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to add some length to a plug socket cable to place the socket a bit further along the wall, is it safe to connect the extra cable to the original using a connector block and then insulating tape around the block?

John

Sponsored Links
NO. what''s plugged into the socket? it would be easier to extend the cable on that with a suitably sized connector plug

Thanks for your reply, I actually want to move the socket to a different position and there's not enough free cable behind the wall.
Is there any way to join a length of cable behind the plasterboard, the join would sit in the cavity.
John

why not spur off the existing socket (assuming its not a spur itself?) all junction boxes are supposed to be acessable which yours wouldn't be

Sponsored Links
Sorrry, should have said it is a spur, don't know where from.

Is it dangerous to join the cables with suitable connector block and then insulate it with tape and secure it to the stud partition behind the plasterboard?

John

For ease and for it to comply with regulations either :

1) Renew the length of cable or...
2) Install a fuse spur where your socket was and extend to your new position, this will then be protected by a 13A fuse and the spur of spur thing will not matter.

il78 said:
For ease and for it to comply with regulations either :

1) Renew the length of cable or...
2) Install a fuse spur where your socket was and extend to your new position, this will then be protected by a 13A fuse and the spur of spur thing will not matter.

Out of interest would there be anything wrong with joining the cables with chockblock inside the pattress where the current socket. Would that count as accessible?

BTW if joining cables using crimps how do you actually finish the job. Stagger the joints and cover in insulation tape (or amalgamating (sp?)tape). Should the crimps go in some sort of enclosure. What if you want to join 3 cables (eyelets and bolts?).

Thanks

Jim

Friendly Advice !!!!!!!

The wife wants me to resite the front room light, easy enough i thought. However the lighting cable falls short by about 50cm of the new position she wants. Is it possible with length of 1mm cable (size of existing cable) to join the two together with the aic of connector blocks allowing me to have enough cable to put up this ****** light for her. If so what amp size for the connector blocks should be used??? Really appreciate any help

Rgds

George

Buy a junction box, connect the wires into it, tuck up into ceiling but preferably screw it to the side of a joist, job done, but be wary about the thought of you or others finding the junction box and thinking "I'll wire from that".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back