Wall Socket - extended cable within.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am renovating my back bedroom and removed an original wall socket to find the previous owner has extended the wires on one side of the ring main to the faceplate by using small chock blocks and lengths of 2.5mm cable.

The blocks do not look up to the job IMHO. Whats the best way forward to make this safe? In an ideal world i would put new cable in back to the previous socket of the right length but the cable are buried under freshly plastered walls....

Would crimping a new length on be best?

Sponsored Links
Cheers...right size would be the blue ones for up to 2.5mm? I don't have ratchet ones, are they really essential?

YES

If you haven't got them, a 32A chock block, inside a socket box and accessible, would be better than a weedy car crimper.

Or you could solder them.

Sponsored Links
Cheers...right size would be the blue ones for up to 2.5mm? I don't have ratchet ones, are they really essential?

Yes, blue is the correct size to use for 2.5mmsq. I would seriously advise you use ratchet crimpers, as they will provide you with a far more secure a reliable joint with no guessing at how tight to crimp.

Considering that fairly high currents may be flowing through these wires, you want to make sure that you have a good, reliable joint. If you don't do the job properly and something comes loose then you could have a much larger task on your hands replacing burnt cable.

Right, one pair of ratchet crimps to be added to the tool chest then, i may enquire if a friend has a set to borrow as they all appear to be rather more than a couple of quid!

I 100% want a good strong safe joint, thats the reason im doing this in the first place, thanks for the advice.

if they cost less than £20 they will be junk.

There are some unbranded ones and some branded "Silverline" which are very cheap (in more ways than one)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back