EXTENDING CABLE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is an existing light fixture which l want to get rid of and run 4 spot lights off it into the ceiling.
My question is, what is the safest way to extend the cable so l can run it? I want to put it into the wall to hide it.

Attachments

• 20240207_131617.jpg
    20240207_131617.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 51
Sponsored Links
The only sensible option is to fit a back box in the wall and put a cover plate over it

Completely covering it , and therefore the hiding the safe zone is a bad idea

This is an existing light fixture which l want to get rid of and run 4 spot lights off it into the ceiling. ... My question is, what is the safest way to extend the cable so l can run it? I want to put it into the wall to hide it.
You mention 'putting it into the wall' - does that mean that the light fixture you want to get rid of a wall one and, if so, roughly how far below the ceiling is it?

Kind Regards, John

You mention 'putting it into the wall' - does that mean that the light fixture you want to get rid of a wall one and, if so, roughly how far below the ceiling is it?

Kind Regards, John
Yes, l want to do away with the light as in the picture and extend the wire up the wall and connect to a run of 4 spotlights.
Is quite a high ceiling and the current light fitting is about 800mm below the ceiling.

Sponsored Links
The only sensible option is to fit a back box in the wall and put a cover plate over it

Is it completely wrong to join to a connector block and loose it in the wall?

Is it completely wrong to join to a connector block and loose it in the wall?
Yes, as you've been told, it's not acceptable if there is nothing there to indicate the possible presence of a cable the wall, since someone might subsequently drill or nail into the cable they don't realise might be there.

Kind Regards, John

Yes, l want to do away with the light as in the picture and extend the wire up the wall and connect to a run of 4 spotlights. ...Is quite a high ceiling and the current light fitting is about 800mm below the ceiling.
It's a bit extra work, but why not dig out all of that cable up to ceiling level, in which case the 'joints' (for your new lights) could all be above the ceiling ()and there aree ways of doing that which would bee acceptable)?

Kind Regards, John'

It's a bit extra work, but why not dig out all of that cable up to ceiling level, in which case the 'joints' (for your new lights) could all be above the ceiling ()and there aree ways of doing that which would bee acceptable)?

Kind Regards, John'
It looks as though the existing wire does not come from above.

So a normal back box, wires to a terminal block left inside, and a blanking cover?

So a normal back box, wires to a terminal block left inside, and a blanking cover?

Yes and make sure the new wire runs vertically from the box up the ceiling

Rather than terminal block, 2 wago lever wagons are a better option

It looks as though the existing wire does not come from above.
Fair enough - I have to say that the photo seems to suggest that you're probably right.

If it's coming from below (or 'through the wall) do you know where it is coming from?
If it's coming from sockets circuit, there really ought to be a fused connection unit ('FCU') feeding it.
What circuit it is on - a lighting circuit or a sockets one?
Is this on the ground floor or an upper floor?

Kind Regards, John

If it's coming from below (or 'through the wall) do you know where it is coming from?
If it's coming from sockets circuit, there really ought to be a fused connection unit ('FCU') feeding it.
What circuit it is on - a lighting circuit or a sockets one?
Is this on the ground floor or an upper floor?
Amidst my flurry of questions, there's one I forgot to add,namely ...

Aree there currently any lights on the ceiling of this room, or will the proposed new ones be the only ones?

Kind Regards, John

Amidst my flurry of questions, there's one I forgot to add,namely ...

Aree there currently any lights on the ceiling of this room, or will the proposed new ones be the only ones?

Kind Regards, John
There's another light the same further along the wall. The ceiling has no lights in it currently. It will only have the new ones l want to put in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back