New spot light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just bought a new spot light to replace a loop in pendent. The spot has L N and E. Whats the best way to connect the switch cable? Is there a bit I can buy that replaces the loop in fixture?

Sponsored Links
yes you should use a 4 terminal junction box and copy it as the rose is now.

OR you can remove lamp on end change flex to 3 core and fit new light to new flex. it is easier to do and saves hassle if you change it back

Thanks Breezer.

The new spots are a bit on the small side so I don't have enough room to keep the existing fitting, and a round junction box won't fit through the hole in the plasterboard.

Is there a slimmer fitting that would do the same job as the junction box, would a choc box fitting for example be acceptable?

not really, why cant you make the ceilg hole slightly bigger and put the jb up, i am only talking a 5 amp jb which are not really that big

Sponsored Links
You can now buy little plastic boxes of varying sizes with cord grips for flex into which you put your own terminal strip. These are acceptable as when closed the connections are inaccesible, and for light fitting flexes the cord grip prevents strain on the terms.

:oops: Probably a complete thicko question; can you use a terminal block to do this - so do away with the ceiling rose and make all the connections using a terminal block, which would then either sit in the light housing or be pushed into the ceiling? If you did, would you use a 5amp or 15 amp block?

either, 5 amp minimum, but you shouldn't put the choc bloc in the ceiling as it is, it requires protection

Protection like the afore-mentioned plastic boxes, into which the blocks fit.

46538_l.jpg
99p

8671_l.jpg
30p

2802_l.jpg
45p

you decide

prices quoted are from screwfix

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back