1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Removing fluorescent fixture & extending wiring?

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by alan.1, 7 Aug 2021.

1. alan.1

alan.1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hello all, I have a very unsightly fluorescent fixture I'd like to get rid of and replace with a more pleasant modern pendant.

The only problem is that I'd like the pendant to be in the middle of the ceiling (green X on the photo), which would be about halfway into the tube on the first picture, and I believe there is probably no wiring that extends to that part of the ceiling, I feel as if it ends near the start of the tube fixture (red X on the photo). My question is, how can I safely remove the entire fixture, ballast, etc and extend the cables to reach the new pendant? Is it a simple case of buying more wiring, stripping and crimping wire and trunking it? Thanks all. I'd like to do this the safe way & up to regs.

Please do excuse the trunking and popcorn ceiling. I peeked inside the junction box beside the fixture and uploaded photos of it too. I thought to ask here first before removing the actual fixture and checking the wiring as I didn't want my kitchen to be light-less whilst I scrambled to sort out the missing lighting.

image00001.jpeg image00002.jpeg image00003.jpeg image00004.jpeg image00005.jpeg

Last edited: 7 Aug 2021
  2. flameport

flameport

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    That wiring most likely already extends to the centre of the fluorescent fitting, almost all of them have the connections near the centre, not at one end.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Sponsored Links
  4. alan.1

alan.1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    That's a great bit of news, thanks. Any idea what that junction box is for? Could I get rid of it and feed the cables via trunking straight into the new pendant?

5. chivers67

chivers67

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Not sure what the purpose of that box is other than looking an eyesore! One piece of trunking would be better. Is it a flat with no access from above?

6. Sponsored Links
  7. 333rocky333

333rocky333

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It can be a neater way, as the fitting has a 20mm hole at the end and they used a short bit of pipe between.
    Looks like the install cable is singles, trunking butted up to the end could be a bit rough leaving unsheathed singles, passing between the two.