Extending central heating pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

As part of some building work at home, I have removed a chimney breast in a bedroom that originally had the radiator attached to it. I have capped the old 15mm pipes and have the floor boards up. The new location for the radiator is in the bay under the window.

Question is: is it easier to simply extend the old 15mm pipes to the new location using plastic pipes and the straightconnector that has an olive on the copper side and the plastic grip on the other. A couple of elbows where required and then copper pipes down from the radiator valves joinign onto the plastic?

I had a bad experience once when doing the bathroom. Was given plastic pipes to have temporary extension off of the cold mains, but the connector was the same at both ends, i.e. a sharp blade and a rubber seal. Whaich was fine on the plastic, but slipped off of the copper while we were at work and flooded the house.

So would always want an olive type join onto the copper end at least. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance..

Sponsored Links
you need the grab ring to grab on both copper and plastic...it wasn't mounted correctly can be the only reason it popped off...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back