Extending cooker circuit for oven & hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need some advice. I am in the planning stages of redoing my kitchen and am replacing a standalone cooker (according to label rated at 12kw) with a double oven (going by various ones I've seen around will be rated at around 5.5kw) and a halogen hob, i think rated around 5-6kw.

The current cooker circuit has a 32A MCB which according to my math isn't actually sufficient for the current cooker, however this is how it has been since new (16 years ago, although I only moved in 6 months ago).

There are two parts to my question, firstly can I safely run both double oven and hob from the single cooker control unit, if not is it permissible to have two ccu's on a single cooker circuit. (If this isn't possible I have no real alternative as the consumer unit is at the total other end of the flat and in the garage under the bedroom) Secondly, the hob and oven will be on opposite walls. The oven will be right next to the current ccu, however the hob will be on a wall directly opposite the ccu approx 2.5 metres across (taking into account high of wall etc I would expect the cable run to be around 5/6 metres - not sure if this is important)

I have a number of people available to me who are more than capable of carrying out this work, however are not Part P so I would need to do self notification which I understand it not overly cheap, would it cheaper to simply get a sparky in to do the work? I would prefer to get it done with the people I know, not for the cost reason but because I enjoy doing DIY and want to be involved!

If anyone can help it would be most appreciated so that a) I can work out if we can do this our self, or b) know what i'm talking about so I don't get a cowboy taking me for a ride!

thanks
Paul

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back