Extending driveway - options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I'm considering options to extend my single driveway to get a 2nd car on.

Currently it is block paving and seems ok.

View media item 81345
I want to take out the tree on the left of the pic and this will widen the opening at the top of the drive. Unfortunately there is a street light beyond that, so can't go any further. Was then looking to extend the drive to take off the corner and add a triangular bit where the grass is visible in pic.
Hope that makes sense!

Is it reasonably straight forward for a drive company to extend existing block paving?
I'm aware it probably won't colour match, but does this weather in usually or does it always look poor?

My other option is to replace the lot, but this I would imagine be a lot more expensive.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the prompt comments.

Little brother has a power wash, so will borrow and see.

Have you considered gravel or a grass grid system?

Is grass grid where there is a tough plastic grid embedded in part of the lawn?
If so, wasn't sure if it would kill the grass quite quickly with a car parked there a lot of the time?

I'd not thought of gravel. Will consult the missus about aesthetics! :)

I was thinking if it was just updated, the raised line of edging blocks could be moved to avoid bumping over them?

Sponsored Links
Often its best to create a seperate area with say a border of different blocks or perhaps small setts to split them into a new distinct area. Trying to match them won't work really and it'll end up looking almost right which is worse than not at all right if you know what i mean

Plus, really you should apply for planning permission or itll need to be permeable, crazy I know! But really the council wont notice. The grass grid can hold a car no probs, they use it on car parks at most national trust places. Simple lay the grid, fill with soil and relay seed. Grass grows from the root, so even if its routinely trampled to death by a car it will grow back. But gravel will look nicer in my opinion

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back