DIY Fence Installation for Driveway Partition: Seeking Advice on Cost-Effective and Durable Solutions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a large driveway, approximately 35 sqm. To the right, I share a boundary with a neighbor who also has a driveway. Currently, I have a block paving driveway and I'm looking to install (3ft) fence paneling along a 3-meter length to create a partition between my property and my neighbor's.

Naturally, I'll be extending into my boundary by removing a course of block paving to accommodate the width of the posts and the fence. My main question is: what would be the most cost-effective, efficient, and long-lasting method for this project, and how should I proceed?

I'm considering options like using gravel boards and concrete posts or using treated wood posts with gravel boards, ensuring they are protected from rot with preventive postsaver sleeves. I'm looking for advice on the most budget-friendly yet durable approach or the best overall method that won't break the bank.

Additionally, could someone guide me through the step-by-step process of carrying out this fence installation?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Don't put wooden posts in the ground. It will be very hard to dig them out when they rot.

If you like a wooden fence, you can put concrete spurs in the ground. You can subsequently bolt wooden posts of whatever height you wish, raised so that the bottom of the posts are not in contact with the ground and will not be splashed with rainwater. You can have post and chain, post and rail, trellis, panel or close board, and change them at whim. I had a post and rail fence, I added a couple of panels when my neighbour dumped his broken-down land rover on his side, and took them down when he moved.

If you use concrete H posts, you will be stuck with whatever height you first choose.

If you like, you can paint the concrete with masonry paint. I use "bitter chocolate" to match the brown woodstain, but some people like white or colours.

Last edited:
Quick and cheap option is to use a planter fence which will enable you to mark your boundaries without any damage to your drive.

Attachments

• IMG_1558.png
    IMG_1558.png
    688 KB · Views: 27
Don't put wooden posts in the ground. It will be very hard to dig them out when they rot.
I think there @JohnD is assuming that the wooden posts will be set in concrete.

John is quite knowledgeable but he comes across as thinking that there is only one way to solve a particular problem. In another thread some months ago, he said that he had never used postsaver sleeves but he knew they did not work. On the other hand, in that same thread @Burnerman (who is very knowledgeable) said that he had used postsavers and they do work.

Sponsored Links
he said that he had never used postsaver sleeves but he knew they did not work.

Really?

I like those post savers.

The rot usually occurs around ground level, because well below the surface it is too wet to rot quickly, and well above it is too dry, so they are protecting the most vulnerable part of a wooden post.

But concrete posts wil last far longer.

In
@Burnerman recommended them and said he had used them. You listed all of the problems you perceived with them, I asked you if you had ever used them and you did not answer the question.

So either you were, implicitly, saying you had not used them or you were playing silly buggers.

"I like those post savers."

That quote is from an 11 year old thread I did not comment on, hence it was clearly not what I was referring to them.

If you like them so much, why did you ignore my question about whether you had used them?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back