Garden Patio & Fencing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Looking for some advice. I've been quoted approx. 5.5k by two landscapers for an area of 22sqm to lay new patio & replace 12 fence panels (with concrete posts & concrete gravel board), all materials to be provided aside from paving slabs that I'll be proving. There is an existing patio of 5.4m width by 2.4m depth with a 300mm step up onto the lawn. So basically that means there is an area of the lawn @ 5.4m v 1.6m that requires digging (around 1.5 to 2ft deep). The dilemma I have is that for the fence panel portion of the work it would cost 2.2k, whilst I'm happy with that I'm trying to see how I can reduce the cost of the project. I'm fairly handy at DIY & have past worked as a labourer on a construction site. If I were to attempt the next 3 months digging the garden area myself in preparation to lay the slabs DIY is it a crazy idea? As I anticipate the digging being the most labour intensive bit of work for a DIY project it would the bit I would be most concerned about.

Would really appreciate some replies, those with experience would be great to hear from.

Thanks
JM

Sponsored Links
I reckon a fair part of that quote is labour for the digging.
If you are prepared to get rid of the soil yourself, laying a patio isn't particularly complex.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back