Install concrete slotted fence posts so they are removable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've inherited a garden with wooden fencing and wooden posts to approximately 5' 4" (5' panels on approx 4" wood gravel boards). Inevitably, some of the wood posts have rotted so I will be re-installing the fence using existing panels that are sound and concrete slotted posts (which are probably the only sensible option). I have done this job before in a previous garden to great success.

The twist on this question is, I'd like to make the concrete posts removable! This is to ensure that, should we wish to lower the level of the fence in future (depending on what future neighbours do with their side), it is a case of either angle-grinding to reduce the height or replacing the posts only; either of which is far easier than re-digging holes and installing numerous posts!

So, my loose strategy is to wrap a couple of layers of durable plastic sheet (like rubble bag strength) around the ends of each post (possibly greasing in between the sheets) and set in postcrete as usual. When fully set the following day, I should be able to pull the post up out of the hole, remove the plastic layer around the post, and reinsert.

Anyone got any thoughts, or advice on best way to do if you've done before??

Sponsored Links
The way I have seen it done, is to use a rigid tube, larger than the post, install this in the ground using concrete to hold it in place.
You then insert the post once the concrete has set, and surround with dry sharp sand, pack this in tight so the post is firm.
Then add a mortar haunch up to the post to seal off the sand so it remains dry.

When it comes time to remove the post, crack the mortar off the top and pull the post out. you may need to remove some of the sand first...

Like this, but with a firm plastic tube, not a bag.
http://www.instructables.com/id/How...t-with-ease/step5/insert-the-post-socket-bag/

One way of doing it as an alternative could be to use the concrete repair spurs. You can then bolt on a wooden post. Should you want to lower the fence you can then cut the wooden posts but it also has the advantage that they still wont rot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back