Extending engineered wood flooring from the tongue side

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've got a floating engineered wood flooring in my hall way. I have since had a porch built to extend the size of the hall and therefore need to extend the existing flooring. The problem is that the joiner that installed the original flooring must have started on the wall where the front door was. So I now need to extend the flooring from the wrong side of the board, i.e. the tongue side rather than the normal groove side.

I want to try to avoid using a transition bar, as I don't think it would look very good in the position it is in. So I am looking for a way around this.

Should I cut off the tongue edge of both the existing floor and the first new board and then glue these together, so that the 2nd row of new boards can then lock in the correct way round (i.e. the grove side of the board will then be facing the space being extending into)?

Below are a couple of photos to hopefully show what I mean:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back