Extending existing loft conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I’ve put in planning application to extend an existing loft conversion done in the early 70s by about 1.2m to now put on the original external house walls.

As it was done in the 70s, I’m sure there’ll be things that won’t comply now so will need to be stripped back but I was hoping the floor structure would be ok. Main beams are 8”x4” sat on external brick walls and then 8”x2” joist separated from ceiling below stretch front to back

Question is can the timber 8x4s be kept in this day and just be extended by the 1.3m to the external walls?

thanks in advance

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Structural timber is likely to be adequate now if it was then.

Structural timber is likely to be adequate now if it was then.
That’s good to hear. I didn’t know if it was requirements to have steels put in. Keeping the existing floor will save masses of destruction and cost. All the structure of the dormers will need removing

Sponsored Links
As far a B regs goes there is no legal requirement to upgrade any of the existing structure regardless of whether it complies or not. Any new work will need to comply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back