Extending existing wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I have recently moved in to a house where the previous owners knocked down a wall seperating the kitchen from the dining room to half height, with a breakfast bar on top. They also installed a RSJ at ceiling height.
I want to re-install the wall to full height.

I guess the best way to do this is to build the wall on to the existing wall, and tying it in to the side wall. Do I need to tie it in the the RSJ or anything like that?

In the picture you can see the breakfast bar which is sitting on top of the wall that I want to extend upwards.

Many thanks
Ads

Sponsored Links
I did think about doing it out of studwork, but thought brick would be better both from a sound insulation point of view and also for hanging wall units etc on the otherside.
Plus I think it would work out cheaper using bricks than the timber and plasterboard. I already have some bricks left over from another job.
The room is going to be plastered after anyway.

I would advise 'locking-in' the very top course of bricks/blocks by ensuring that the final joint beneath the rsj is fully filled with mortar i.e. pushing mortar in from both sides.

This will make sure that there is no lifting or shifting of the uppermost courses when fixing wall units etc, high up the wall.

Sponsored Links
Brickwork is no more effective at soundproofing than a properly specced stud wall.
Curious though, to close your house back up this way. So you don't want to see or hear what goes on in the kitchen...
Do you not like your wife? :LOL:

Very good Deluks. :D
The real reason is because I do not have a hall way, so if the washing machine or dishwasher is on the noise goes through the whole lounge / diner.

Thanks for your advise Noseall. Just so that I understand this correctly. Currently the RSJ is boxed in with plasterboard. Is it best to rip this down first? Then fill the joint with mortar up to the under side of the RSJ. Or can I just fill in up to the plasterboard which is tight up against the RSJ anyway.

Many thanks
Ads

Thanks for that. I thought that would be the case but thought I would check. :)

Is there anything I need to do with the sides of the RSJ ready for the plasterer? Or are these ok left plasterboarded?

Probably best asking the plasterer as you want him to be responsible for it not cracking in the future etc.

Good point, Thanks for that i will do. Hopefully getting the plasterer round to have a look Friday, and quote for the plastering I need doing. so will ask him then.
Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back