Extending garage using permitted development

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, newbie here

I want to extend my garage by 4m so it's level with next doors garage. I was hoping to avoid planning permission by using permitted development but my garage is already 2.7m high which is above the 2.5m permitted height, if built on a boundary. My garage has been there for 53 years. If I extend it it'll be 3m high. Can I get away with permitted development or does the 2.5m rule still apply?

It'd appreciate any help.

Thanks

Garage.JPG

Sponsored Links
That looks like it is facing a road, and if so you can't extend forward under permitted development.

That looks like it is facing a road, and if so you can't extend forward under permitted development.

Does that apply to outbuildings? Is the garage within the curtilage? I presumed he could extend as far forward as the front of the property (Class E part b).

[How old is the house? If older than 53 years then the garage isn't original. Does that change things?]

Sponsored Links
The house is 64 years old. Next doors garage has been extended but some time ago. I believe the garage was built at the same time as the house.

This is at the back of my house. The garage is shown on the land registry if that makes a difference.

No, that my neighbours house. Mine is to the left just behind the tree. My basic 'paint' drawing shows the house in red, garden in green and the garage in orange. I can access the garage from the bottom of my garden.
Garage3.jpg

My house is by the red arrow. It's annoying as the garage is already over 2.5m tall. Hope this helps?

Garage1.jpg

Nah, you would need permission for that. I can't see why you should not get it though.

I'm not sure I agree wih everything posted here, but want to clear up some confusion first.. Is your garage the white door one, blue/grey door one or both?
Can you give a street view location for the garage?

(I have presumed it is the white door).

I also can't see any rule that makes a garage under PD not possible, subject to the requirement to a max height of 2.5m.

But for the sake of the cost of an application, better to apply for what you want.

My garage is the one with the white door. I went to see planning and as you say it could be done under PD but subject to 2.5m high.

I decided this would look daft if I have to have a flat roof at the front of my garage. I've decided to get planning permission and build it with the extra height. It is an extra £167 pounds but I think it's worth it.

Thanks for your interest.

You could put the same amount of slope downwards on the front roof, thereby forming an apex roof.. PD wouldn't allow you to build forward of the building line denoted by the neighbouring house with the attached garage though.. Can't quite see from the pics posted, how much your garage is set back from the building line. That said, nothing stopping you making your garage larger by extending it rearward. You've a very long narrow plot, not sure what's behind the garage but it'd make good use of the space if it's just an overgrown and untended part of the garden. If the map pic you posted is oriented upwards for North, you might get quite a bit of afternoon sun down that end of the garden; summerhouse adjoining the garage maybe? (Glazed man cave extension).
PD wise, If you're keen to be a good boy with regards to the regs,my ou can alter the way the roof falls so that it's low on the right (when looking at the garage door) and high on the left.
By way of an oversight in the PD legislation you can actually also have he highest part of the roof on the right, adjoining the boundary, as this is not classed as an eave, it's a ridge..

Thanks for the suggestions cjard. I can't extend backwards as I have my outdoor 'man gym' there. Going to stick with planning and go with the extension to the front which will end up 3m high so plenty of space inside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back