Extending garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Viewing a house on Friday that I am quite interested in buying.

Currently has a single garage at bottom of garden and am wondering how hard it would be to get someone to extend it into a double width as there is space in garden next to it.
Would have it with a single double width roller door to make it easier to get into.

it’s either a sectional construction or block built and already has electric running to it.

Do people think this would be possible and what sort of price you think to have it done or would it be cheaper to have it ripped down and a new one put up, which would seem a shame to do tbh

Pictures added to show what I mean

F686E4D6-1308-48B8-AAA9-80BCDB42137A.jpeg
06A9C524-D50C-4457-9013-45591C306BBB.jpeg
EBDEE9E2-810D-4AB9-9567-915AF79FC6F3.jpeg
9ECF3021-693E-46EE-9206-2847A165B7E4.jpeg

Sponsored Links
That looks like an interesting idea. Pic from back garden looks like breeze block construction but there is not much there that would be retained if extending. If your garage shares a single layer block wall with your neighbours garage obvs that can stay - by the time you have knocked out that middle wall and the front wall, the back wall with the door and window is going to be falling apart so there is still pretty much three new walls and a roof to build.

It’s a little bit involved for a diyer unless you happen to be a fairly competent and confident block layer and are willing to put a fair few back to back weekends graft.

I would have thought a builder might be pretty happy to take it on as it’s simple with very few unknowns where things can go wrong and start gobbling up the contingency and could be a nice little number to fit around larger jobs.

I would think you would be looking at £10k -£12k ish tho at the mo all in with materials being pricey and labour being in short supply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back