Extending incoming telephone cable + virgin media cable question in wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_20220921_134419216.jpg

IMG_20220921_134411607.jpg

N1.jpg

Hi all (pictures describe this better than I can)

I would like to relocate both the incoming virgin media cable and the telephone cable a foot to the right because I want to fit a radiator here instead.

The question is what is the proper way of extending both the virgin media cable and telephone cable given that both connections will be buried behind the wall ?

Can I use standard coaxial cable (which I already have) to extend the existing virgin media cable using the standard f type connectors ?
As per this link : http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/extend_cable.htm ?
Or is it that I need very specific virgin media cable ?

Again, with the telephone cable, can I extend this cable using some cat5e cable or do I need a very specific cable ?
How do I make the connection given that this cable will also be buried behind the wall ?

Many thanks for any information.

p.s. both these cable are incoming through the external wall of the house.

Sponsored Links
In another thread when considering how to join twin and earth mains cable
. I was thinking a standard terminal strip with insulation tape, or is there something more prominent I should be using instead?

This could be the start of another 3 page epic

Does your phone socket actually work? Virgin discontinued the use of phone sockets in our area around a year ago and sent us a connector that plugs into the router that the phone plugs into.

I'd cut your cable back to the other side of the wall and make the joint there so that the joint remains accessible.

When our gardener accidentily cut our incoming broadband cable i repaired it with standard screwed f type connectors covered in 2 layers of self amalgamating tape and a final layer of insulating tape for UV resistance. The broadband performance has remained the same.

Does your phone socket actually work? Virgin discontinued the use of phone sockets in our area around a year ago and sent us a connector that plugs into the router that the phone plugs into.

I'd cut your cable back to the other side of the wall and make the joint there so that the joint remains accessible.

When our gardener accidentily cut our incoming broadband cable i repaired it with standard screwed f type connectors covered in 2 layers of self amalgamating tape and a final layer of insulating tape for UV resistance. The broadband performance has remained the same.
No I don't use either of them.
I was thinking of the next person that comes along that may want to make use of it. Personally, I would never take out a contract with Virgin Media but somebody else may want to.

That's a great suggestion about fitting the joint outside instead after cutting it back, but wouldn't that need to be in a wall mounted box of some kind for protection ?

Sponsored Links
well if you dont actually need either cable just cut the plug off and pull the cable out. if you move and the new person wants VM then its up to VM to re cable it for them

That's the point of the self amalgamating tape covered in a final layer of insulating tape, but you could just use one of these

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back