extending microbore heating system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my daughter has just bought a 3 bed bungalow with 8mm microbore central heating:(. its got a big conservatory thats like an ice box is there any way of fitting a couple of good sized rads just by extending the existing system? any help apreciated as Im visiting them at the weekend and would like to be able to help. All I know about microbore is no one likes it! Thanks

Sponsored Links
You can add rads to it, but not from the micro ore itself. Need to go back and fine some 22mm pipe work really.

You need to find out whether the microbore is tee'd off 22mm or run from a manifold. If it's run from a manifold the you need to run the new pipework to the manifold, if it's tee'd off 22s then you can break into those, either way don't try to tee off the microbore as it won't work properly.

You shouldn't really heat a conservatory off the main heating system anyway, it's so energy inefficient that it's now prohibited by Building Regulations, and it'll cost you a lot of money to run. Much better to just buy a couple of oil-filled electric radiators and use those in there when you need them

A conservatory is intended for summer use hence they are made without any proper insulation.

A little electric heating can extend this for a few weeks but they should never be considered as an all year round room.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Consider having an air to air heat pump installed in the conservatory. They are not cheap to install. But are 3 to 4 times more efficient than electric oil filled rads. And you don't have to worry about the drawbacks of installing wet central heating (freezing etc). Plus in the summer they can also be used as an air conditioning system.

Damn puller. You beat me to it pal:D

Serves me right for taking 20 mins to perfect my reply

Great minds think alike!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back