Extending my telephone line

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,
Hoping for a little help here, I want to extend my main telephone point from the hall into my living room. Is there any way I can connect my main telephone wire (from outside) to another piece of wire around 1m long without having the old BT box in the hall? I want attach wire to wire and wandered if anyone knows if this can be done and what I will need to do this

Many thanks

Paul

Sponsored Links
Spark123 said:
You can attach an extension lead if that is what you mean. The master socket is normally BT property hence you shouldn't move it yourself. Does the socket look like this one?
http://www.austin-taylor.co.uk/pages/nte5.htm[/QUOTE]

Yes the socket is like this only about 20yrs old so was going to replace it anyway and redecorating. The line goes from telegraph pole to house and into hallway. The wire has no give on it to move it to the living room (next to the hallway) I want to remove the BT box altogether, extend the wire by about 1m and pass it through into the living room then connect a new master socket.
My problem is connecting the old wire to a new wire without any boxes in between. Can this be done ?

Thanks

Paul

you aren't supposed to mess with BTs stuff bt in practice people do. BT rarely bother that much about it but sometimes they can start charging you to put stuff back to BT spec before they will investigate faults with the line.

the trick is to do it in such a way that they can't tell it wasn't one of thier engineers who did it. That is use BT spec cable and avoid introducting any new joints that don't have the BT logo on.

Sponsored Links
Not really, as this belongs to BT. The type of socket I posted to above has a detachable bottom plate. Is it possible to leave the existing master socket in place and run an extension from it? If you detach the bottom portion of the socket there is a series of terminals in it for you to attach to. You can use this to attach a piece of phone cable to a slave socket in the living room.

Thanks guys,
Yes it does have a detachable bottom part, think I will slave it off this one ane extend as there does not appear to be an easy way of connecting the 2 sets of wires. Thanks for your help.

Paul

My master socket ended up half way up the staircase for some strange reason!
dsc00134ze6.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back