Extending outdoor wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At the end of my garden I have a 3-Way RCD Garage Consumer Unit connected to the house cu with armoured cable (all working fine).

We now need power half way up the garden for a pool pump and filter.

My question is can I use an armoured cable 3 way junction box (half way up the garden) and take a cable to a new CU for the pool. Or am I better taking a armoured cable from the garage cu (will need a new one) back down to the pool cu?

Will get a electrician to connect it up, but I'd like to know what I want before getting one in - just to sound a bit more knowledgeable.

thanks

from looking at the other posts here's some more info:
cu in house installed 2010
shed supply has own switch in house cu Hager MTN 132 B32
swa has 600/1000v
shed cu has lights and sockets B6 and B16 switches

Sponsored Links
You do noit say the size (CSA) of teh armoured cable. But I will guess its quite chunky, maybe 6mm² ?

Your problem will be providing a suitably IP-rated fused connection (probably at 3amp) half way up the garden. Also wrestling with 6mm conductors wont be easy as you'll need to pull back several inches to make the connection.

I would run a new length of (thinner) SWA from teh shed CU, probvably from a new MCB way.

Both methods are possible, both have their issues. Coming back from the shed means more cable and more volt drop (which may be an issue if the shed circuit is already marginal on volt drop). Breaking in at the middle can have practical issues and also means if there is a fault (e.g. water ingress) in the "break in" stuff you will lose the shed circuit as well.

If "breaking in" i'd think the way to do it would be to use a resin tee joint kit underground and then a short length of SWA from the tee joint to your fuse and isolation unit.

Why not use a 12v pool pump? Transformer in the shed and ordinary twin cable to the pump.

Sponsored Links
... I like the idea of the resin tee joint kit (if I have enough play) ...
The the SWA cable buried underground? If so, I would think that you would struggle to find any slack to allow you to break into it, with a resin tee joint or anything else. I would think that it would be very likely that, if you tried that sort of approach, you would have to add two joints (a tee and a nearby 'straight through' one), to enable a bit of extra cable to be inserted. I don't think you've mentioned distances, but two resin joints could well cost you more than a new length of SWA for the pool.

Kind Regards, John

With the resin filled tee joint kit's i've seen one cable goes straight through, so I would think you would need very little play in that cable to make it work.

I'm sure DNOs frequently use tee joint kits to tee into existing undeground cables (IIRC they even do it live).

With the resin filled tee joint kit's i've seen one cable goes straight through, so I would think you would need very little play in that cable to make it work. I'm sure DNOs frequently use tee joint kits to tee into existing undeground cables (IIRC they even do it live).
Fair enough. As you say, DNOs do it (and, as you say, quite probably live).

Kind Regards, John

For the benefit of the OP and anybody else looking to do a similar job, the DNO employees do a lot of work on live cables. You shouldn't. Isolate first.

For the benefit of the OP and anybody else looking to do a similar job, the DNO employees do a lot of work on live cables. You shouldn't. Isolate first.
Good to see you again! What you write is obviously totally true, but I really don't think that the OP, or anyone else, would even consider working (totally unnecessarily) on live cables in their garden!

Kind Regards, John

the DNO employees do a lot of work on live cables.
And for underground cables they use ( most often ) insulation piercing connectors that have no exposed metal parts so for them it is ( generally ) safe to work on live cables.

NOT a DIY project to work LIVE in a hole in the ground.

NOT a DIY project to work LIVE in a hole in the ground.
Of course not - but, as I've just written, why on earth would anyone totally unnecessarily take the risk of working live in a hole in their garden (when they wouldn't work live in their living room or kitchen)? - I presume that even DNO personnel do not work live 'just for the hell of it', in a situation in which they could easily isolate without inconveniencing anyone!

Kind Regards, John

Good to see you again! What you write is obviously totally true, but I really don't think that the OP, or anyone else, would even consider working (totally unnecessarily) on live cables in their garden!

Kind Regards, John

I saw a post saying DNO employees extend cable without isolating, I chose to answer with a bit of straight advice. I wouldn't make any assumptions about a readers background knowledge.

I saw a post saying DNO employees extend cable without isolating, I chose to answer with a bit of straight advice.
Fair enough. I understand what resulted in your comment, and no-one can disagree with the advice you gave.

Kind Regards, John

Kind Regards, John

John, I feel your faith in your fellow man is admirable yet wholey misguided. I would never endeavor to estimate the boundaries of stupidity!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back