new garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
wiring up a new garage with garage cu 40a rcd and running 6mm2 armoured cable to it how do i connect it to my house cu?do i use seperate isolater and rcd or connect to my house cu to protect cable?

Sponsored Links
you should connect your swa to a spare way on your cu.(i assume you have one?)

its easiest to terminate your swa into a metal box, since most modern cu are palstic

just to get it right coming out of my house cu off a spare way out to a isolater in metal box and armoured cable out to garage is this correct

no need for isolator, since the mcb, you connect it to will isolate it.

the metal box is there so the swa will not twist/ buckle the plastic cu.

obviously you must connect the earth

Sponsored Links
note that mcbs only give single pole isolation

so a seperate double pole isolator is advisable ESPECIALLY if you are using the rcd side of the CU (which i don't reccomend)

my personal advice is to go from a mcb in the non-rcd side of the CU to a seperate RCD in a metal modular box and then to a metal switch only CU in the outbuilding

there is some controversy over which end fo the cable to put the rcd protection at i personally reccomend putting it at the house and but there are good arguments for both methods

breezer said:
no need for isolator, since the mcb, you connect it to will isolate it.

an isolator should break both live and neutral, not just live, so i would highly recommend an isolator

Use a through conduit box (galv) to connect the SWA to. Make the tails long enough to reach where they are going to. Then bond the galv box to the earth terminal.

I put an RCD on both ends of the cable. A 100mA at the supply end to protect the cable, and a 30mA at the garage end to protect the final circuits.

would their be any disadvantage to having an RCD protect both ends? or does this really **** up discrimination??

David

I personally think 2 is OTT.

I prefer one at the garage end (30mA). Relying on EEBADS to disconnect the armoured supply cable is compliant. I can see where Plugwash comes from, as protection to the armoured cable by an RCD can lok favourable if you have a keen gardener!!

with two rcds unless the one at the house is time delay (cost++) they will most likely just trip together which rather negates the point in putting the rcd at the shed end in the first place.

the main reason i advise at the house end is because im not sure how well the diyer will manage to gland the SWA i always reccomend 3 core for basically the same reason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back