Extending outdoor wiring

In the OP, 4candles said he wanted advice as to how to get the feed in place and he'd get an electrician to connect it up. Rather than get advice in here, he'd be better getting an electrician to do the job.
We have clearly interpreted the OP differently ...
Will get a electrician to connect it up, but I'd like to know what I want before getting one in - just to sound a bit more knowledgeable.
Your interpretation may be correct, but I took that to mean simply that (as many OPs say) he wanted to know "what he wanted" before speaking to the electrician (so that he could 'sound a bit more knowledgeable') - not that he intended to 'get the feed in place' before involving the electrician. Only the OP can referee!

Kind Regards, John

The reason I'd say to speak to the electrician is that there are too many variables which can only be ascertained on site. Dhutch asked some.
We don't know :
- the garage load
- the expected load in the new cu
- if the current SWA cable is (or will be) compliant with the regs
- the current earthing arrangement in the garage and if this affects the new cu
- if the cable is buried or not
- if 4candles has the expertise to do this job

I was referring to the feed to the new cu. If 4candles is planning on designing the circuitry and installing the cables, I would be surprised if he could find an electrician who would connect the new cu.

In response the original question, breaking into the cable introduces a potential point of failure.

Sponsored Links
The reason I'd say to speak to the electrician is that there are too many variables which can only be ascertained on site. ...
I totally agree. As I said, my interpretation (perhaps incorrect) was that such was what the OP intended to do, but wanted to 'prepare himself' for discussion with the electrician.
In response the original question, breaking into the cable introduces a potential point of failure.
Indeed. As you've said, we don't yet even know whether the cable is underground but, if it is, (and FWIW) I personally probably wouldn't even consider an underground joint. Such joints are fine when installed by those who are doing it all the time (like the DNO folk who drew you into this discussion), but I'm not sure they are something for the 'inexperienced' (even when installed 'dead'!).

Kind Regards, John

The reason I'd say to speak to the electrician is that there are too many variables which can only be ascertained on site. ...
I totally agree. As I said, my interpretation (perhaps incorrect) was that such was what the OP intended to do, but wanted to 'prepare himself' for discussion with the electrician.

Let me just clarify my understand of the thread so far:

The OP needs to speak to the electrician to impart himself with the knowledge with which to speak to the electrician? Without such knowledge the OP wouldn't be able to speak to the electrician and so therefore, before speaking to the electrician, it's vitally important that he first seeks to speak to the electrician?

Let me just clarify my understand of the thread so far: ... The OP needs to speak to the electrician to impart himself with the knowledge with which to speak to the electrician? ....
I don't think so :) Accepting that we never know whether people are telling the truth, my interpretation of what this OP said (which differs from scousespark's interpretation) was that he wanted to do some research (including 'talking to people' in this forum) to impart himself with knowledge that would aid him in subsequent discussions with 'his electrician'.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
4candles has stated the following in this thread

First post quote
My question is can I use an armoured cable 3 way junction box (half way up the garden) and take a cable to a new CU for the pool. Or am I better taking a armoured cable from the garage cu (will need a new one) back down to the pool cu?

Will get a electrician to connect it up, but I'd like to know what I want before getting one in - just to sound a bit more knowledgeable.

Second post quote
Thanks for the quick replies I like the idea of the resin tee joint kit (if I have enough play) the cable size is 4mm2.

I take this as he wants more than background knowledge and wants to do some of the work himself. Given we have no idea if the current installation can cope with the required changes, I don't see how we can advise how he should proceed. He has said he is getting an electrician in at some point so it makes sense to do it BEFORE he starts cutting into his cable. he could end up with a hefty bill and no power to his shed or the new cu.

Wow, thanks for the replies.

I was hoping for general concept can "one" tee off an existing swa cable to a new CU or should "one" come back down the garden from the garage CU.

(mainly so I could get on with other gardening and have an idea for the general layout.)

I see now there's a lot more involved

the garage is 70m from the house and the pool is (will be) 50m
the cable is underground but there's a lot off digging going on (landscaping would imply i'm a better gardener than I am) so I know where the current run is.

It's true I do like to know as much as I can before getting the professionals in and I do like to DIY where I can. But water and electricity is a step to far even for me.

Thanks again for the replies.

I was hoping for general concept can "one" tee off an existing swa cable to a new CU or should "one" come back down the garden from the garage CU. ... (mainly so I could get on with other gardening and have an idea for the general layout.) ... I see now there's a lot more involved
As you will have seen, the short answer is that one 'can' do either of those things, but there are pros and cons.
the garage is 70m from the house and the pool is (will be) 50m ... the cable is underground
Like some others have said, I personally would do all I could to avoid underground joints. If it's 'only' about 20m back from the garage to the pool, then I would personally probably favour that option.
It's true I do like to know as much as I can before getting the professionals in and I do like to DIY where I can. But water and electricity is a step to far even for me.
Fair enough - that's roughly what I thought your position was, and I have total sympathy with your wanting to learn as much as possible before getting the professionals in. I hope the project goes well!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back