Extending patio

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya :) We recently moved into a new build house and I'm thinking of trying to tackle extending the small patio area we have as its not quite large enough for a table/chairs. I'd be digging up a small area of lawn for 4 or so flags.

I've been reading through this guide http://www.pavingexpert.com/layflag1.htm and it says:

Sub-base
This will not normally be required for a path or patio unless there is concern regarding the suitability of the sub-grade.

So basically I should be able to dig down, compact and just use a bedding layer (sharp sand/cement mix))... or is it still best to add a sub base/hardcore layer below this?

Sponsored Links
On a new build definately use a hardcore sub base. The ground will not be as firm as an older house and there is probably all manor of rubbish buried under there.

The other school of though would be to go ahead without as the whole thing may be a little up and down in 5 years when you can relay the whole thing.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. Think we've decided to do a 4x4 square and move some of the current flags around so I'll do the 4x4 with a new base and fix the rest when they get worse (a couple are already a little wobbly after checking)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back