Extending pipe work for double rad

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just moved into a ‘new’ (18yrs old) house, and am decorating one room at a time. I want to replace the old single radiators without fins as I go, with double radiators in some instances.

The pipework is 10mm copper, and protrudes about 40mm from the wall. I think need to extend it out by about 20-30mm to fit a double rad. Just wondering what the best way to do this is, without soldering.

Also, valves at both end ends of this rad had a slight weep, so will be replacing them. But they had wet the plaster around the pipe, so have broken the damp plaster away and will fill it once it’s had a while to dry out. Will expanding foam be ok, topped off with filler once dry?

DA2C6984-7628-49A5-AD09-8AB1ED973205.jpeg 26C3D247-6F84-40AF-881A-C2802307DDFC.jpeg 6BD2DFF5-61C6-4AC9-8F0D-A937B280D963.jpeg

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I think you’ll need to pull the floor up and start further back.

No, seriously. How are you going to make a connection onto those pipes without soldering?

Sponsored Links
That might work, i’m not a plumber but i’d think that elbow would need unsoldering (i’m not sure if that’s a real word). Good luck though (y)

Not sure. Was thinking of cutting the soldered elbow off and putting a omething like a 10mm pushfit in chrome onto the horizontal pipe?

Would need to get the paint off the copper i’d imagine.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/pegler-push-fit-elbow-10mm/28509

Not sure of the extension provision of that product. By the time you've cut the 10mm pipe and cleaned it up to take the push fit elbow, I doubt you'll have the length you'll need (from the wall) to the projection required by the new double panel rads and I also don't think you'll have the room for a coupler > a short bit of pipe > then the push fit elbow. Plus, it'll look rough as fu©k.

Better to go into wall and bring new tails out, or solder new extensions on.

Ok, thanks. And I presume the pipe has to be cleaned of paint etc before soldering an extension on?

Ok, thanks. And I presume the pipe has to be cleaned of paint etc before soldering an extension on?

Yep. Back of a stanley blade to scrape the initial paint off then an abrasive pipe strip to clean it up to shiny.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back