Fitting smaller rad - extending pipes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, I am in need of replacing an old 640mm wide radiator, however all I can get for a replacement is a 600mm wide one.

Thats 40mm short and I cannot get the floorboards up as they go completely under a partition wall & I dont want all the hassle involved.

So I'm thinking of just extending the connections between the valves & the radiator.

First I thought of using a couple of the bits that go into the rad as seen no this TRV.

Then I found these and am wondering if they are suitable for going into a rad in order to extend its connections?

Sponsored Links
You can get purpose built rad extensions in a variety of sizes.
Use solid one and not the telescopic 'leak within the week' type!

OK cheers, I think I'll wait till I can get to the plumbers merchants for the extensions then.

Why not get a 700 rad, they will be available at most plumbing merchants and elbow one of pipes under the radiator so its not visible rather than having a horrible extension visible?

Sponsored Links
Assured heating, i ASSURE YOU this is not stupid advice, but feel free to leave your opinion on why this may not be considered advisable.

Assured heating, i ASSURE YOU this is not stupid advice, but feel free to leave your opinion on why this may not be considered advisable.

Getting 1 or 2 extended rad valve tails would be cheaper & would probably require alot less hassle than buying a bigger radiator then having to alter pipework.

As I said above, I dont want to have to alter the pipework, I cant move it under the floor and if I was to do some soldering then I might as well do without the extensions.

For now all its getting is a coat of rad paint till I'm not so knackered & have time to change it.

Cheers anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back