extending SWA cable.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm new on the site so please bear with me.
I have armoured cable running from the house to the bottom of the garden (buried) to provide power to a pond pump, UV filter etc. It was fitted by the house builders twelve years ago. I would like to extend this cable to another part of the garden or possibly into an outbuilding to connect it to a new four way switch systen specially designed for pond equipment. Can SWA cable be easily connected and how is it done? should it be earthed or is it enough as it already comes from the house consumer unit. With the new regulations should I call an electrician in or is it a relatively simple job? any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Ray

Sponsored Links
I think you should call an electrician (part p approved) as he will be able to test the cables and check they are the right size for the job in hand . If the joint is to be buried in the ground then a torpedo joint should be used (tricky to do if not done before) if it is not then an ip rated adaptable box can be used, The work should be fully tested to make sure all is safe and then be registered with the local council -part p regulations

Even if you are using one of the cores as an earth, you still need to join the armour together at the joint as it is a conductive part. The underground joint kits accomodate this.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.
Yes the armoured cable will be joined above ground then hopefully run along the garden fence into a shed. I have been told that 2.5mm cable jointed through a good quality ip 67/68 junction box will be adequate for my needs. It's the earthing bit that I don't fully understand. Job for a qualified electrician methinks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back