Garden power

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope someone can help. At present I have a powered shed and a koi pond in the garden that are connected as follows

The shed runs off of a spur on the socket ring main and draws about 700W.
The power for the pond runs off of the cooker circuit which seems to be a radial circuit from the main consumer unit. I do not use this for the cooker and so only powers the pond. This circuit is connected via an armoured cable to a secondary consumer unit in a pump house and draws about 30A at full load (mostly due to a heater.) In effect, it has just extended the cooker radial circuit to a secondary consumer unit and the pond equipment runs off that.

I am however installing a new shed and a new cooker that will need the cooker circuit. I am therefore looking to rewire the garden. I am intending to run an independant armoured cable line from the consumer unit to feed the pond system and two sheds. My question therefore is :-

1. Do I need to run the dedicated armoured cable feed as a radial or ring main
2. Can one armoured cable feed into a secondary consumer unit that then split the power to the pond and the two sheds or should I run three circuits (either radial or ring) from the main consumer unit to the two sheds and the pond ?

Many thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
. Do I need to run the dedicated armoured cable feed as a radial or ring main
2. Can one armoured cable feed into a secondary consumer unit that then split the power to the pond and the two sheds or should I run three circuits (either radial or ring) from the main consumer unit to the two sheds and the pond ?

Radial, taking account of load and distance for size- There's a cable cal section on the TLC electrical suppliers site.

Yes, run a single cable from the existing CU or via a cut out and on the the henly block. Then have a sub mains CU (builders CU is perfect) with fuses for each circuit that you wish to provide for.

Work is notifiable under Part P :(

Chri5 thanks for that. Got to love part P ! Generally will electricians certify someone else's work if it's left exposed for them to see or am I being woefully optomistic ?

Sponsored Links
Most are only able to self cert work they have done themselves. Me included.
Most are so busy that they cant be bothered with doing the unprofitable bits of a job and then putting their name to it. Me included!

If you are going to DIY it then notify LABC before you start and they will inspect and should test & cert it for their fee.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back