Garden electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all I will be installing an armoured cable2.5mm 3core from my house consumer unit it will be going from the cooker point but will be going about 25 metres to the shed so that I can put in another consumer unit but only use no more than 4 of the 6ways to run a pond filter,a pond pump and some lights plus one for puting a socket out for the lawn mower,would the cable beable to handle it.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The cable is protected by the MCB in your consumer unit.
What size is the MCB currently protecting your cooker ?

And at that distance, you'll be looking at at least a 4mm-6mm cable because of the voltage drop

Sponsored Links
Your 2.5mm cable can only take around 30 amps, so your cable is WEAKER than the MCB, so if you had a short circuit, your cable would in effect become the fuse...

No - go for an electrician.

The thing is the job you want to do - installing external cables, deciding whether to export the earth, installing a CU, designing, installing and testing all the final circuits, etc, is not a trivial job, and I can assure you that it involves knowing far more than you think it does.

Asking questions here can be a useful part of a learning process, but they are not a substitute for proper structured studying. The key term there is "learning process" - you cannot learn all the things you need to know just by asking questions here. It isn't structured enough - it won't provide you with a way to progress where each step builds on what you learned before.

You can't carry out a job of this magnitude by asking whatever random questions happen to occur to you. You've already shown that you have some dodgy misconceptions - what if you get something wrong because you have no idea your knowledge is wrong? What if you miss something because you simply have no idea it even exists, and just don't realise you don't know it?

Ok I see what you mean I thought this would be the way to go in the end.
The other idea would have been to put a double weather proof socket outside on the house wall and then use the cable from the pump and filter and put an outdoor plug on cuts down on the amount of cable needed to get to the pond,what do you think.

You'll still need to apply for Building Regulations approval for the socket.

Will the cable(s) from the pond items be long enough?

Where will you lay them/fix them so that they won't get damaged?

I would put them in conduit from the socket and bury them in the ground about a foot or so. the cable would be long enough, I would not bury it until
I got a cirtificate from an electrician after he or she checked my work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back