Electrics Advice (Outside)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Everyone,

I recently got planning consent for Outside Electrics for my pond, after recieving the consent I then contacted an electrician to quote me for the job witch is as follows:-

3 Double Sockets - to supply Fishmate Pond Filter & 2 Fishmate Pond Pumps, Water Feature, Decking Lighting and a spare.

The Pumps and filter need to run from a 30 Amp RCB if i remeber right.

Could someone point me in the right direction as I would like to carry out the work myself then get all the wiring in place then to finalize it by getting an electrician in to test it and issue the certificate once its passed inspection.

i.e Materials Required to Cable Requirments

My pond is approx 4 Metres from the property at the rear and the Consumer Unit is at front of the property.

Look forward to recieving your advice

Daniel

Sponsored Links
If you have submitted a building notice for putting in the electrics, you can do it yourself if your confident enough.

The council should test & inspect if you have submitted a notice

We can give advice on what you need to do ;)

Hi, Yep I feel confident enough its just the testing side of it for inspection with our house owned by a Housing Association they require the certificate to say its passed. Do you now what I require for the works to be carried out.

Cheers Daniel

what sort of planning consent was it? Did you submit a building notice for electrical work or is it just permission from the housing association.

If you have submitted a building notice, they should test and inspect and provide the certificates

Sponsored Links
I recently got planning consent for Outside Electrics for my pond, after recieving the consent

First job done then :)

My pond is approx 4 Metres from the property at the rear and the Consumer Unit is at front of the property

How far is it from the cu to the location where you want the sockets?

You could run 4mm 0r 6mm swa to a largish IP rated enclosure, to supply a small 2 way IP rated rcd main switched cu. This in turn could supply (1) decking lights & (2) pond equipment.

Or

Run 4mm swa to sockets then install an IP rated fused spur for the decking lights.

what sort of planning consent was it? Did you submit a building notice for electrical work or is it just permission from the housing association.

If you have submitted a building notice, they should test and inspect and provide the certificates

Permission from HA to carry out the works, with Documention confirmation upon completion they want to see proof the works done and safe

I recently got planning consent for Outside Electrics for my pond, after recieving the consent

First job done then :)

My pond is approx 4 Metres from the property at the rear and the Consumer Unit is at front of the property

How far is it from the cu to the location where you want the sockets?

You could run 4mm 0r 6mm swa to a largish IP rated enclosure, to supply a small 2 way IP rated rcd main switched cu. This in turn could supply (1) decking lights & (2) pond equipment.

Or

Run 4mm swa to sockets then install an IP rated fused spur for the decking lights.

its approx 20 metres away form pond to CU

Not at all, but if you decide to do it yourself you must notify your Council first and pay them a fee.
Sorry to rain on your parade, and I am not for one minute a fan of Part P.
It might be cheaper to find an electrician who is registered with a special scheme which means he will take care of all the Council paperwork for you.
Have a look here.
http://www.partp.co.uk/common/search.asp
Your electrician should be happy to let you do donkey work such as digging trenches and laying cables, providing you agree with him first. Might save you a few bob off his bill.

Ok, That explains why the quote I got was so expensive then

£400

Cheers Daniel

what other way is there any ideas welcome............. :idea:

Ok, That explains why the quote I got was so expensive then

£400

Cheers Daniel

what other way is there any ideas welcome............. :idea:

I hate to say it but, there is the armadillo system :rolleyes: . You just plug it in like an extension lead, so no need to worry about part P.

http://www.watergardening-direct.co.uk/acatalog/Armoured_Cable_Kits.html

Now I must go away and like any self respecting sparky, beat myself senseless with a cricket bat for advocating the use of such items :eek: .

Get some more quotes, but for what you want £400 does seem to be in the ball park, so long as the cu has an rcd to cover the sockets.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Ok

my instruction manual stares a 30 amp rcd

Fishmate Pond Pump 2000 and i have 2 of these to run and a Fish Mate Compact 8w UV + Bio Pond Filter

Cheers Daniel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back